Sunday, February 6, 2011

Low-wage conservatism


MINIMUM WAGE FOLLIES....I promised myself I wasn't going to read George Will's column today about abolishing the minimum wage, but unfortunately a reader sent me the link and I clicked on it before I knew what it was. Weak man that I am, I then went ahead and plowed through it.
It's mostly just a data dump of half facts and cherry picked numbers, and the only assertion of any importance comes at the end:
The minimum wage should be the same everywhere: $0. Labor is a commodity; governments make messes when they decree commodities' prices.
This, in a nutshell, is the core problem with conservative economics: it views workers as commodities. Naturally it follows from this that we should be free to treat workers like commodities, rather than as human beings.
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2007_01/010514.php

No comments:

Post a Comment